The new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM belongs to the Sports category of the Global Vision line.
Seeing a new telephoto zoom lens is not surprising, but we were not expecting an exact match to Tamron’s lens in terms of range and aperture. Although the Sigma lens is not any faster, the company chose to go higher end on a few aspects, targeting professionals. This is why the lens is included in the Sports category, and not Contemporary.
More information is coming on the new 1.4× and 2× teleconverters as well.
- The lens is larger and heavier than the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 due to bigger glass elements.
- It features weather sealing.
- AF and OS have been optimized (see below).
The specs of the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 are included between brackets for comparison.
- Construction: 24 elements, 16 groups (20 elements, 13 groups)
- Filter diameter: 105 mm (95mm)
- Minimum focusing distance: 260 cm (270 cm)
- Dimensions: 121 x 290.2 mm (105.6 x 257.8 mm)
- Aperture blades: 9, rounded (9, rounded)
- Maximum magnification: 1:5 (1:5)
- Weight: 2860 g / 100.88 oz. (1951 g / 68.8 oz.)
- Available mounts (at launch): Canon, Nikon, Sigma (Canon, Nikon, Sony)
- Expected price: around $2,000 − seems high to me even considering the advanced optics, but we’ll see (the Tamron costs $1,069)
Since the official announcement in English has not been issued yet, here’s the Google translation of the press release in Polish found at Kconsult, with some corrections to make it readable.
We are pleased to announce that SIGMA Corporation unveiled a new lens belonging to the Sport line – Sigma 150-600mm DG OS HSM F5-6.3. It is a durable and mobile masterpiece of telephoto lenses with high performance and excellent workmanship. This professional telephoto lens with very sharp images throughout the zoom range, meet the needs of any photographer.
Its main advantages include enhanced resistance to work in dust and precipitation, lock the front barrel at any focal length, an hydrophobic layer on the outer glass element, compatibility with the new teleconverters from the Sigma Global Vision line, new optical stabilization system supported by an advanced accelerometer, ergonomic arrangement of switches and rings, optimized AF drive, special lenses to minimize any aberrations, and the whole enclosed in a durable and tasteful new housing.
The Sigma 150-600 mm F5-6.3 DG HSM is designed to work in difficult terrain, has all the features and capabilities of the equipment desired by the demanding professional, so that does not need to worry about the lens, and you can focus solely on the scheduled frame.
1. The lens achieves the best optical performance that characterize the products from the professional Sports line, thanks to the excellent items made from special optical glass, managing to minimize chromatic aberration and achieving class leading image quality. This lens contains two FLD (Fluorite Low Dispersion) glass elements with high quality fluorspar and three SLD (Special Low Dispercion) perfectly compensating image color aberrations, particularly chromatic aberration often occurring at the long end. The lens uses a 9-blade circular aperture, which results in beautiful out-of-focus areas of the image (bokeh).
2. Increased resistance to external factors. Resistance to weather. The lens is dustproof and splashproof. Numerous seals in the construction of the lens provide free transport even under difficult ambient conditions.
- New protective layer on outer lens elements. Front and rear lens are coated with a hydrophobic layer and a special layer to counter fat, making them easy to clean.
- Lock tube. The lens is equipped with a switch to lock the extension. Lock can be activated at any focal length values, which enables stable shooting from the lens upward or downward. This function is essential for long exposure times, eg. for astro photography.
- Focus modes. Lens standard modes are AF / MF, and the MO mode has been added. By enabling this mode, you can manually adjust the focus, and the AF switches on only after a certain time. Time after which the AF switches can be set via the USB Dock.
- A new kind of tripod holder. Materials used and the fixation spot guarantee more than ever the stability of the setup. It allows fast and precise transition between horizontal and vertical position.
- Lens mount – brass bayonet mount combines high performance with durability. Its surface is subjected to a special treatment of reinforcement, in order to ensure a high quality lens, which guarantees long life.
3. Precision technologies can capture the desired frame.
- The lens incorporates a precise accelerometer to support the operation of image stabilization. Stabilization in mode 1 is for general shooting. Mode 1 works with all vibration sensors. To capture subjects in motion (ie. tracking an aircraft or a running animal), enter mode 2. In case of vertical or horizontal frames, the accelerometer detects the position of the lens and properly organizes the work of individual sensors.
- New AF motor – the lens incorporates a new type of motor AF, quieter and faster, called “Optimized AF”. Compared to previous designs, we were able to improve the efficiency of the engine by 5%.
4. Compatibility with the Sigma USB Dock
The lens is compatible with the Sigma USB Dock, so you can personalize, for your own expectations, the following: optical stabilization, autofocus, and focusing distance.
5. The lens is compatible with the new 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters from the Sigma Global Vision line. AF is provided to aperture f/8.
Found at Optyczne.pl.